Sunday

Sprint and Dan - The New Model Made Old

A couple of hours ago, I was watching TV and came across the following (relatively new) spot from Sprint:



I like and hate this spot for a few reasons. First off, I like it because it got my attention. Anytime a new CEO puts himself in an ad I usually think, "Oh God, this is going to be bad...and I can't wait to blog it." But Dan is honest and straightforward in this spot.

Sprint has to change and they know it. Why not make things easier for their consumers and create one, $99 plan that covers everything - from GPS to texting. Give me one bill no matter what I do. I like the sound of that.

What made me jump about this spot, though, was the final frame. After the Sprint logo, Dan's email address appears - "dan@sprint.com". I actually shouted, "Did he just put his corporate email on his TV spot?" Well no, but yes.

After doing some digging, I found a few people who emailed Dan and got an auto response back from Sprint saying that he would get in touch with them if he needed to (yea right).

What gets me about this tactic is the allusion of change. As a company, you either embrace the web or you don't. Don't start a blog just to "get one out there" but delete negative comments posted about you. Address them in the blogosphere and gain the credibility that you've never had.

A full article, including the auto-response as well as some other fun musings about this spot, can be found here.

No comments: